Thursday, September 15, 2011

My Daily Impact: September 14 and 15, 2011

This is post # 21 on this blog.

OOPS! I did not watch yesterday's video until after it was posted. I guess that I was so excited that the windmill was generating power that I freaked out on the camera. I am really happy that the generator spins well, and that it spins quietly. I did have to bypass the voltage controller which came with it because it would put the brakes on prematurely. The blades would get spinning, then the controller would click off and short the wires making the blades stop spinning. I decided that that little generator would never overcharge the eight golf cart batteries which I use in my power system; so I bypassed it! It is a solution which my dad would have been proud of!

I did a load of laundry, and caught the dryer before it got my t-shirts completely dry. That meant that the total grid power use for Tuesday was 13 KWh. For a hot day, this was totally fine.

On Wednesday, I rode a lot on the e-scooter. I went to Ikea for breakfast, and then continued to Aldi for some milk and other groceries. I did not plug in at Ikea, and used solar power to charge when I got back home. I avoided the use of a napkin at Ikea, so aside from the bacon, I had little impact in the morning.

Later, I rodee downtown for a walk with my friends. I did a double walk, and probably went about 5.5 miles. I had not been walking too much lately, and my feet were a bit sore. While I walked, the scooter was plugged in at the parking garage for about 250 watt-hours of outside juice. When I got home, it was bacon wrapped filet and Green Giant spinach for dinner. Oink oink!

Total grid power use for Wednesday was 11 KWh. Good for a hot day.

This morning, Thursday, my neighbor Peggy and I ran some errands together. To save her gas, we went in my truck. We did Ikea breakfast (more bacon oink!), Habitat for Humanity Home Store (for a secret mad scientist project), a camera store (for Peggy's old camera), and Skycraft. A run of 27.7 miles which will use about 12 KWh, but keep about 30 pounds of CO2 out of the air.

In a few minutes, I will be off in the truck to Lowe's for more mad scientist supplies. The truck is much more efficient when run for a while, given a booster charge, and run again.

Here is a video of the wind generator doing its thing!

No comments:

Post a Comment