Tuesday, September 13, 2011

My Daily Impact: September 13, 2011

This is the 20th posting to this blog.

Yesterday's grid power use was 11 KWh. It was hot during the day, and not quite cool enough to sleep with the windows open at night.

Today, I trimmed the hedge in front of my house. It is a long hedge, about 140 feet of Potocarpus. I modified the electric trimmer by adding a pole to the handle. This allowed me to reach all the way across the top of the eight-foot hedge. It worked pretty well, but it gave my arms quite a work-out. If the motor could be mounted somewhere on the long handle, the balance would be much better. I used solar (and wind!) power to do most of the job, and the power meter never moved during the whole process; including blowing off the sidewalk.

Food today was bananas, a PBJ sandwich, and for dinner Burger King. I wanted to try a California Whopper. That was a big mistake. Nasty, Nasty, NASTY! I never had worse "guacamole" in my life. It tasted like green mayo. Barf barf barf Barf!

Well enough about nasty food. I actually saw the windmill producing energy today! It was spinning pretty quickly in what I would call a nice breeze. It seemed like we had more wind on other days where the blades stood still. I am happy to say that it spun without making any noise, and I was definitely able to verify current flow with my volt meter. Yay!

No comments:

Post a Comment