Monday, October 3, 2011

My Daily Impact, October 2, 2011

Daily Impacts: September 29, 30, October 1, and October 2

This is the 24th posting to my blog.

I have neglected this blog again. I guess that I have been busy. I will just do a dialy summary for the past few days.

Thursday, September 29, 2011:

I rode the Honda about 25 miles for about 4 or 5 pounds of CO2.
I got a Styrofoam to-go box from Il Piscatore for my left-over Stromboli.
The house used 10 KWh of grid power.

Friday, September 30, 2011:

I rode the Honda about 25 more miles for 4 or 5 pounds more of CO2
I rode with three friends to dinner. The part which was out-of-the-way for me was about 3 miles for 6 pounds of CO2.
The house used 6 KWh of grid power; I was able to open the windows at night.

Saturday, October 1, 2011:

This is the day that the weather turned cool. It happened on October first last year too! It is what we Floridians wait for all summer: that first cold front!

I turned off the grid power at the meter beforew I left the house at 7 AM. This is one of my favorite things to do! I rode the e-scooter downtown to meet friends for our weekly walk, and went to breakfast. I did have coffee and eggs with sausage; so there were the transportation issues and the meat issue. I also used some sugar packets and two stir sticks. I charged the scooter in a parking garage for about 200 watt-hours of grid power.

When I returned home, I charged the scooter from the solar and wind system I have at my house. There had been a steady wind from the northwest, and the generator was making juice. It was also very sunny; so the solar panels were juicing as well. It was a good day to be making renewable energy.

Getting ready to make some electricity!

That evening, I met Kenny for dinner at Sweet Tomatoes. I rode with him for about 6 miles for about 5 pounds of CO2. I also charged the scooter for about 300 watt-hours of grid power. Dinner was mostly vegie, but there was some chicken in one of the salads, and some meat in one of the soups. I do eat out a lot, and that helps keep the grid power use at home down. When I am off-grid, I can not cook or do laundry; that requires me to hook back up by flipping a breaker or two.

Total grid power use for the house on Saturday was ZERO!  Grid power use from other sourses was about 500 watt-hours ( 1/2 KWh ).

Sunday, October 2, 2011:

I rode the e-scooter to Aldi for some milk and groceries. There is no plug accessable there, so all scooter power was from the wind and sun. My brother Mike and his wife JUne stopped by on their way home to Miami. We had a nice visit, and went for some lunch at Checkers. The ride there and back was about 5 miles for about 4 pounds of CO2. The food had paper packaging which went into the trash, and there was meat involved. Sometimes, it is hard to be green.

Later that afternoon, I changed the oil in the van. I will take the used oil to be recycled, and the new synthetic oil should be good for five or six thousand miles. The old filter went into the trash once I got most of that nasty old oil out of it. Should I have kept it, and disposed of it in a diferent way? How? Well, at least I did not have to run the van's engine at all. I had put the van on the ranps when I returned from DC, and rolled it back down with gravity.

The evening brought a trip on the e-scooter to my Thai Chi group downtown. After our meeting, we went for Cajun food at the little restaurant near the Center. We all walked there, and saved any travel impacts by doing that. The food was served in Styrofoam bowls, and the drinks in Styrofaom cups. I will bring my own water next time we eat there. I used about 300 watt-hours of the Center's power to charge the scooter.

Grid power use for the house was again ZERO! I just love fall in Florida.

No comments:

Post a Comment