Sunday, January 29, 2012

My daily impact: January 16 - January 29, 2012

This is the 43rd posting to this blog.

I have been traveling, so I have not updated this blog in a while. I went to Costa Rica, and it was beautiful.

There were large carbon costs to this trip, so let us get those out of the way. According to Carbonfund.org, my flights totaling 2566 miles round-trip contributed 940 pounds of CO2 to the atmosphere. There is also an effect from the condensation trail and the emission of the gas at such a high altitude which make the emission equal to 2540 pounds of CO2 at ground level. That is a lot! There was also the rental car. I used just over 15 gallons of gas for a total output of about 300 pounds of CO2 from that. That is the bad news.

The good news: I was able to turn the grid power completely off at the house while I was gone. It has actually been off since I got home Thursday night. Thanks new solar panels and Florida sunshine! While I was in Costa Rica, I ate only local food. It is easy to do there if you like fruit, and I do! I also had chicken (not so great for the environment) with locally produced beans, rice and plantains. This is referred to as "Comida Typica" meaning typical food.

The car was a mixed blessing. I rented the car because I wanted the extra security of having my own transportation in a place I had never been before. The car served me well, but now that I have been there, I would not rent a car again. It was expensive, and because of the good bus system, unnecessary. There is a bit of good news; the Yaris got 41 MPG, and proved to be a very comfortable and quiet car. It was a brand new 5-door model, and at least I was able to take two housemates on an excursion to Poas Volcano.

I will be returning to Costa Rica soon, and look forward to doing the adventure by bus.

No comments:

Post a Comment