Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Daily Impact: August 9, 2011


This is the first entry in my new blog which is named “My Daily Impact”.

I will share what I do every day that has an impact on the environment. Along the way, I will share the things I have done in the past which help me lessen this impact.

Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Today is an overcast and rainy day in Orlando. This really helps keep my electricity use down because the A/C does not have to run very often to keep the house at a reasonable temperature. I will share tomorrow how much electricity I used today. Yesterday my house used 19 KWh of electricity from the grid.

While I was walking the dog this morning, I saw my neighbor’s grand daughter roller blading up the street. She stopped me to ask if I could give her a ride to school. Her school is about a mile away, and it was very humid. I agreed to give her a ride in my truck. The round trip will cost about one KWh which will be included in my total power use for today. My truck runs on electricity, and I will share more about that in future blogs.

When I returned home, I found that I was running short on milk. I like to get my milk at Aldi because it only costs $2.49 per gallon. I also purchased some other odds and ends which had plenty of packaging. I will include those impacts as they are used. I rode my electric scooter there and back, and probably used less than 1 KWh for that round trip. This will also be included in my total power usage for today which I will share about tomorrow when I read the power meter at 8:30 AM.

After the trip to Aldi, I did some yard work. I filled four 32 gallon trash cans with yard waste, and put them on the curb for tomorrow’s collection. I did some paperwork on the desktop computer, and printed one sheet of paper which was my power bill.

Later, I rode the electric scooter to the library to return some items, and then to Panera Bread for coffee and a snack. I use my own coffee mug, but the pastry came on a plastic reuseable plate (which Panera will wash), a plastic knife and fork ((which went in the trash), and two napkins (which also went in the trash).
Other items which went into the trash today were two yogurt cups, a cereal box, a can from my OJ concentrate, and a napkin. I threw one banana peel into the yard. There will be more stuff going in the trash this evening which I will share later.

My goal in writing this blog is to keep tabs on my impact to the environment, and to try to reduce these impacts where ever possible. I hope to also influence others to reduce their impact.

No comments:

Post a Comment